I had never seen it before tonight. I slightly recognized the name when Yo and Neil initially asked me if I had ever heard of it before, but I had NO idea who was in it or what it was about.
Now, I love movies. Anyone who knows me somewhat well knows this about me. I will pretty much watch any movie I haven't seen just because I am curious to see how it is. And I enjoy most of the movies I watch... at the very least, I find most movies entertaining or somewhat funny enough to actually see again. My favorite movies though, and I may be biased in saying this, are genuinely good movies. "The Departed" is the best. I just have good taste, I suppose.
So naturally, when Neil and Yo enthusiastically asked me if I want to watch "Pitch Black" with them, I said yes! Always up for a new movie! I got pretty pumped for it too because they both said it was super scary and "hoped I wouldn't get nightmares." Little did I know that the movie contained the two worst things to ever happen to film: Cheesy Aliens and Vin Diesel.
Sorry Vin, aka Riddick... your large muscles can't get you out of this one.
I don't know if it was the awkwardly frequent use of unnecessary cuss words, the young girl pretending to be a boy, the horrible Australian actors trying to have American accents, the awful special effects, or the weak attempt at Riddick's "philosophical" and "moral" awakening at the end, but none of it worked. And it wasn't even scary. If you are going to do an alien movie, either make it super awesome and scary or so cheesy it's hilarious. Middle ground just doesn't cut it.
I feel a little bit bad because I know there are probably a ton of people out there that love this movie. But I don't think I would ever sit down and watch it again if I had the choice.

No comments:
Post a Comment