|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Painting: ReChurch Style

My internship is, so far, looking a lot different than I thought it would a month and a half ago.  That's not a bad thing at all though. I think that God allows our hearts and minds to be opened with any experiences we might face.  Because this is "technically" a community outreach internship, I expected to just be working with people in the community the entire time.  It's true in that is primarily where my time has been spent in the 7 weeks I have been in CHCH mainly.  However, this past week, I did something for the church I haven't really done since October... paint.

The staff members - primarily Hamish - asked me if I would be up for painting an abstract version of the sermon series logo 'Remedy' and naturally I said "YES!"  I really do miss making and producing art on a regular basis... an although I have done some crafty things for the children's ministry, I was pumped to step into the realm of abstraction and modern art again!  I mean, yeah, I was burnt out by the time of the show, but after 5 months, I was ready to get back into it again (WHOA... has it really been five months? Where has the time gone?!).

(The real 'Remedy' logo that Whitney made for the sermon series)

It was so fun going into a local art shop, picking out paints and a canvas, and beginning the painting.  It was freeing and emotional for me.  I felt like I was back in my own skin... doing just what I love to do... making art - emotional art - hoping to give viewers a glimpse of a creative and loving God.  I spent basically all of this past weekend hanging out in Hamish's back yard painting the large canvas that was going to be on display for the service on Sunday.  It only took me a day and a half, and it turned out pretty decent having not painted for awhile.  On Sunday, it sat up front the entire service as a sort of back drop for the sermon.  After the service, I received heaps of compliments - which I was not expecting at all, especially since I had not told anyone what I was doing or had done. 

I expected that to be the last piece of art I would really make for ReChurch.  However, at the staff meeting today, Hamish and Nate brought up the idea to make more paintings to possibly auction off or display in a "gallery"-type setting.  The idea would hopefully be to raise money for EQ relief fund, while also having something substantial to give to those who donated.  Basically, we talked about me painting one or two paintings a week... paintings hopefully giving off a sense of hope and positivity to the viewer.  I was in disbelief.  I get to do community outreach work AND paint?! WHAT?!  Dream come true, really.

I am not sure of what the paintings will look like yet... I really have to start sketching and making designs, but if any of you have ideas, PLEASE let me know! I would love your input in all of this.

No comments: