Unless you've been living in a hole for the past three weeks, you have obviously heard about the earth quake in ChristChurch, New Zealand as well as the 8.9 earth quake off the coast of Japan that caused a devastating Tsunami a couple of days ago. With all the disasters that have been happening over the past few years, like other major earth quakes, rampant snow storms across the states, flooding, mudslides, tornadoes, etc, it's easy to think, "Alright, this is getting a little ridiculous, what's going on?" More frequently though, we are thinking, "This all needs to stop." Going even further, we might be wondering, "Is this the end of the world?"
At this point in our thinking, our worried minds can all too easily wander to popular culture and things we have heard through media about the end times. 2012, for example. Heard of this? Yeah, so according to the calculations of ancient calendars, the world is going to end in December 2012. If it makes you feel any better, there are now caravans of people in the States going around saying, Wait! Hold Up! NO! The earth is NOT going to end in 2012, you silly people... it's going to end in May 2011! The Bible proves it! Judgment day... bum bum bummmmmm.
Honestly, I would be lying if I were to say the idea about the world coming to an end soon hasn't crossed into my mind. I mean, NZ gets hit with two major earthquakes in 6 months (OH, and by the way, another major quake is predicted to hit CHCH sometime between the 15-20th of March, supposedly... says the "Moon Man"), crazy weather has been going on in the states (also including earthquakes in states like Oklahoma), and now the Tsunami?! What the heck?! I know weather is weather and the earth needs to do what it needs to do... but really? All of this? God, don't you think it's all a little too much?
It's easy to get caught up in what is going on around you. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the world is coming to an end. It could be really easy to become bitter toward God for "making all these things happen." It's easy to be anxious and nervous ALL OF THE TIME (like carrying an emergency pack with you every where you go... not like I have done this or anything... **cough cough**). But then I have to stop myself and rethink. Are all these disasters really God's judgment? Is this God's plan for the world? Is this God's desire? As a Christian, instead of listening and soaking up all the information the media and culture is throwing at me, I need to look at the Bible. If I truly believe in a good, loving, just, compassionate, merciful, and powerful God, then His word will provide revelations and answers.
Matthew 24:6-7; 27-28; 36; 42-44
And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not alarmed; for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes (whoaaaaaa!!!!!) in various places; all this but the beginning of birth pains. / For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather. / But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. / Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this: if the owner of a house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.
Wars? Check. Famine? Check. Earthquakes? Check. But then there's the kicker... "Beginning of birth pains". Is the end of the world approaching? Well, DUH. I mean, think about it, one day, the world WILL end. But the Bible says that these signs we are seeing now are just the beginning of birth pains. In pregnancy language, a lady having the baby doesn't even need to be at the hospital yet! She's got some time till the baby is going to be birthed! However, there will be an end. Like the last part of the scripture says though, we do not know when that end is coming. He will be like a thief in the night. We might not know when the end is coming, but when He does come back to restore His Kingdom, I have no doubt in my mind that everyone will know it is the end of the world. Also, I think that since there is still confusion as to whether or not this is the end for certain, tells you that it ISN'T yet. Like I said, I really don't think that anyone is going to be confused when the end is here. We will definitely know it. So yes, the end of the world is approaching - BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHEN. I mean, I trust Jesus a lot, so if he says no one knows except for God the Father, not even him, then I am betting no one else knows. So for all you people around the world predicting the exact date of the end times, you are basically saying that you are smarter than angels and Jesus himself... now that's bold! So now that we know that the end is approaching EVENTUALLY, what do we do next? Be ready. Now, that doesn't mean carrying around an emergency pack everywhere you go (I have a lesson to learn from THAT one), but really making sure that I am faithfully following the Lord that I love and trust in - giving him the glory. I need to be loving others. I need to be selfless. I need to forgive and ask for forgiveness. I need to be generous. I need to be self-sacrificial for others. I need to be praying and spending time with my Creator.
What's the promise God most frequently makes with his creation? That he will NEVER leave us. No matter how many people might blame him for giving us earthquakes and tsunamis and killing their loved ones (which I do NOT believe he did as a form of punishment/wake-up call for us), God does NOT leave us. God still loves us passionately... we are his BELOVED. His creation with whom he LONGS a relationship with. His heart breaks when there is pain and suffering. He is with us during the pain.
Earthquakes have the power to separate us from the roads, our houses, our jobs, our friends, our family, and even life on this earth... but they do NOT have the power to separate us from the love of God. I think that's just incredible.
Honestly, this might be the end of the world. Only God knows. But I have no fear in it. There will be more earthquakes and more pain and destruction... and because of it all, it makes the mere thought about spending eternity with God in Heaven that much sweeter. Live for him and have no fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment