Wait... am I being replaced? Well, yes, unfortunately... but I can't complain too much since I will technically be done with my internship when this new intern comes in... psshhh... NEW intern.
I am actually not mad at all. On the contrary, really. I am super pumped that starting January 2012, ReChurch will have a new worship intern named Jake. Especially since Nate, the worship/creative arts pastor, is "technically" the only ReChurch staff member I don't work directly with. Recently I have been working with him a little bit, I mean with all the new art stuff I am doing and working on, but in the grand scheme of things, he isn't my supervisor. Sorry Nate. Holler holler, clown. This is especially perfect because Nate will be going on furlough starting next April(ish) so Jake will take over leading worship for the few months Nate and his family are back in the states.
This morning, Nate and I had a little skype meeting with Jake. It was actually really fun being on the "experienced" end and telling a future intern about what I have been doing since I arrived in New Zealand. I felt like a legit team member when I was telling him about the church and the mission in CHCH. I also was able to give him good tips and ideas for support raising, different aspects of culture shock I experienced, and other minor details that, honestly, I never even thought about until after I got here.
A couple of times I thought in my head how beneficial it would have been to have someone interning with ReChurch before me so I could hear their thoughts about the church, the city, and their overall experiences. Honestly, it probably would have prepared me a lot better. I could have definitely used some advice on how to raise more/better support. I could have had someone tell me the positives and negatives of living in a host home versus flatting. It would have been useful for someone to tell me all the slang words and their definitions BEFORE I arrived... But then again, how lucky am I to be the first intern that ReChurch has ever had? I am so blessed and lucky to be a part of a team I enjoy and respect beyond words. I love having a leadership role in a church with such gospel-centered beliefs and values. God, through the spontaneity of the whole experience, is teaching me a lot about faith and trust and flexibility. I am having so much fun learning more about church planting, ministry, and cross cultural experiences every single day.
I am the first intern. I am going to be helping pave the way for the interns after me... hopefully there are LOTS of them. This has been such a positive experience for me. Even if I never am involved in church planting ever again (Even though I am pretty sure I will be), I still have so many good memories. I got so excited talking to Jake about the NZ culture. I enjoyed giving him creative ideas on how to raise support. I loved being able to actually answer his questions about cross-cultural ministry. I know I am only two months in and I am NOT a "professional" or full-time church planter or missionary, but I AM the first ReChurch intern.
Eat that, future interns!
... Okay, I'm sorry, that was rude of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment