|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Thursday, March 31, 2011

JOB!

Okay, so I know this is really sudden and everything, but…

I GOT A JOB!

Surprised, right!? Yeah, believe me, I am too.  It all happened so suddenly, and I can’t believe I actually got it.

A couple of girls I have gotten to know pretty well at ReChurch are teachers.  We have bonded over this commonality and have often engaged ourselves in conversations about classroom management strategies, fun lesson plans, and our awkward students and the silly things they’ve said.  I have been asked over and over by them, and other people who know I am an education major, if I wanted to teach in New Zealand.  I have thought about it a lot, but never actually pursued looking at openings.  Especially with the earth quake and everything, looking for a job here was kind of the last thing on my mind.

However, the other day while I was talking to one of my friends about school (she works at an intermediate school right outside the city centre) mentioned how a few of the school’s teachers had left and now they were looking for part-time people.  I didn’t think much about it until she asked me if I would be interested in one of the fine arts positions.  I basically said “That would be really neat if I could have an opportunity like that.”  But I kind of left our conversation at that.

Turns out, she talked to the administrative board at her school and got me an interview.  The school sent me an email early this morning basically asking me if I wanted to come in for an interview THIS afternoon.  WHAT?!  Good thing I have been looking for jobs back in the states and had an updated/edited resume.  I called them back and accepted the interview request.  But again, I had to take this whole thing with a grain of salt… I wasn’t certified in New Zealand, didn’t have any of the proper paperwork, and was not a resident.  How was this going to work?

Well, this is basically what they said after the interview:

We aren’t terribly concerned about your current teaching status in New Zealand, especially with your degree from the states, because this is a part-time position.  Also, your current Visa dates do allow you to stay until the end of the school year.  Although we don’t have your transcript information, we want to offer you the position.  Once we receive your university paperwork, you would officially be able to start when the last school term begins in June.

I GOT THE JOB.  I will be working part-time at an intermediate school here in CHCH.  I will be working until the end of the school year in November.  Right now, the position is not permanent at all.  It’s just extending my stay here another 4 or 5 months.  If I do get offered a full time position next school year, being home over the holidays will allow me time to get an new visa.  But that's not in the radar as of now.

I know this is really fast and super sudden, especially for my good friends out there who I haven’t talked to at all about this.  I just feel this is really the best step to take right now, especially with the job market back in the States.  And I think it’d be great to be able to stay with ReChurch and continue the church plant here.  Thanks to my family for being so supportive on such a short notice and really encouraging me on this new adventure.

No comments: