|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

State Fair Galore





Here's a little game for you: What is the best place to people watch, eat fried ANYTHING without feeling self-conscious, see people and things completely made out of butter, and watch farm animals and farm equipment be showed? 

Answer: The Iowa State Fair.

I not only went to this epic summer event one day last summer, but I was able to go AGAIN the other day.  It's so fun. And hilarious.  Just walking around, watching people, eating, looking at the world's largest cattle, and spending some quality time with friends makes my heart skip a little.  It is such a different culture than I am used to. I mean, c'mon, I am from suburban Chicagoland.  The closest I really ever come to farm animals is when I eat them (mmm. Tasty.).  

I think because I am so rural-illiterate, that is why I like state fairs so much.  I am used to calorie-counting, image-conscious, germaphobic, multitasking people and environments, not such laid back, "let's look at 50 different types of garden hoes" types of communities.  It's quite refreshing.  Especially with school starting next week, it was fun debating what I wanted on my corn dog rather than discussing my school schedule.

Yes, some may say state fairs are the breeding grounds for white trash and diabetes (and maybe even swine flu...), but I like physically and mentally escaping into this world every so often. 

It also fills my quota of 'People Watching' for an entire year. Thanks Iowa!

No comments: