Yesterday was my first day with our complete MC and it was so great. God spoke to a lot of us in that room. There is too much to share on here (so ask me in person if you would like to know), but there is one thing that still stands out to me. I can't do anything but PRAISE HIM for this. Here it goes:
So, Lindsey and Tyler Zach, the leaders of our MC, work at UNO (University of Nebraska, Omaha) for Campus Crusade. Their primary outreach on campus is toward those in the Greek system. Well, on Creighton's campus, we don't have Cru. And besides one sorority's faith-sharing group, we have no type of Bible study or Christ-centered group for Greeks. Tyler stopped us at the beginning of MC to give thanks and praise to God. For what, you may ask? For bringing three Creighton Greeks to MC. Carolyn Wanberg, Kristine Howard, and myself (all in Gamma Phi Beta). He told us that he had been praying for years that God would move on Creighton's campus, especially within the Greek system. I stopped and thought about it, right then and there, and I was deeply moved by our Heavenly Father. Almost to a point of tears. I know that is cheesy, but seriously, it was way cool. I wasn't just happy because I was a part of this, but I was moved because HE answers prayers and moves in beautifully spectacular ways.
SLIGHT TANGENT: For those of you that don't know, I have spent the past 3 years of my college experience wondering why I am in Omaha, Nebraska. Don't get me wrong, I love it here and I love Creighton. If I had to go back and do it again, I would make the same choice. But, I have been questioning why exactly God wanted me here. What plans did he have for me? Well, after 3 years and realizing I was asking the wrong question, I think I finally know. Instead of asking, "why am I here?", I should have been asking, "where do you want me to serve?" God has not only given me amazing opportunities for Ministry at Stonebridge Christian Church working with the junior high and high school students, but now, He has opened up Ministry opportunities at Creighton. Before college, I never would have thought I would join a sorority. After spontaneously deciding to go through Rush/Recruitment, I fell in love. I loved the women. I loved their fun and goofy nature. I loved how strong and involved they all were. I loved their concern for the well-being of all their sisters. I wanted to be involved in a strong community and I found a family [away from home] in Gamma Phi Beta. God moved me during recruitment; I knew that I wasn't just doing this to be in the "in" crowd, but I truly felt that God was softening my heart for the Greek system: groups of men and women I had judged and stereotyped for as long as I could remember.
After MC, Tyler briefly talked to Carolyn and I about the "next step" on Creighton's campus and with the Greeks. He asked us what we wanted to do. A Bible study? If so, with just Gamma Phi or with all the sororities? Or, should we pair up with a fraternity or do something that reaches to all the Greek houses? I seriously couldn't think straight. I almost cried. Again (yeah, I have been super emotional lately). I just kept saying, "Yes", "Yeah", "Let's do it", "Anything". We didn't set up any specific plans, but it was so cool to get a few ideas out in the air.
After three years of prayer and countless thoughts of, "What am I doing?", "God, where do you want me to serve?", "What do you have in store for me?", He is revealing to me the vitality of not only serving and using my gifts at church and doing ministry there, but also serving to the culture. Serving, loving, and proclaiming to those who do not believe and to those who may not have ever heard of Jesus Christ and His love for us. I told you a couple posts ago about how hesitant I can be when it comes to sharing my faith to those who may judge me. But after hearing Tyler talk about his prayers for Creighton Greeks, after discussing ideas with him and Carolyn, after thinking about this INCREDIBLE ministry opportunity that God has clearly put in front of us, I am excited. I cannot wait to go back to school and help get this started. I can't wait to tell my sorority sisters about this Bible study/group. With Carolyn and I being seniors, Carolyn being the Gamma Phi Beta representative on the Panhellenic Council (This is the sorority governing body), and me not currently having a very prominent position in the sorority at the moment, it opens up a lot of doors for this to really work. I know that nothing is set in stone and that God doesn't guarantee for this to be a hit with the Greeks, but it is completely worth the try. I truly see God working in this. He is behind it all. Carolyn, Kristine, Tyler, and I are minor details in HIS Divine plan.
Pray for open minds and open doors into this ministry. Pray that we all keep GOD at the center and at the focus. This is not something that should point to our glory or goodness, because we are undeserving of any praise. Pray that God would use us as effective leaders and that we would remain positive and persistent in the development of Creighton Greek unity and this Christ-centered group.
1 comment:
Love it.
Post a Comment