|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Thursday, August 27, 2009

"I'm Beth and I'm a senior double majoring in studio art and secondary education."

Yesterday was my first day of 16th grade... Senior year of college. WHAT?! Yeah, I know. I can't believe it-- I'm at the top of the educational food chain! [Too bad I look like a freshman...]

There are always a couple things that I love about starting a new school year:

1. Introductions in classes (Read the title to this post).  I love introducing myself to my classes.  Not that I want everyone to know who I am or what I do, but, occasionally, I will add in a couple of random details that are completely irrelevant... just for fun.  Like in EDU 583 (Class Management) yesterday, after giving my little introduction, I said, "...and I prefer to work in acrylic and charcoal."  Or this morning in life drawing, I said, "... and I could probably draw Keefer and Michelle (the male and female models) by memory."  Even tonight in my computer illustration class I mentioned "... and my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving."  I am not expecting a specific reaction out of people, but I often get confused looks from people I have never met.  They are probably thinking, "Wow, that was COMPLETELY irrelevant."  I know it is, but so is making an entire class go around the room to introduce one another like we are in high school... so, why not simply embellish the irrelevance?  That's my theory. And honestly, I am not going to remember half their names anyways...

2. NEW FRESHMAN! Everyone remembers being a freshman in college.  You remember picking out new clothes, new shoes, and a new backpack before the BIG DAY.  You remember keeping your student ID handy at all times.  You remember those delicious (gag me) dining halls and having to occasionally sit with complete strangers (or by yourself).  You remember those welcome week activities that you dreaded going to (or skipped in most instances).  I am a REALLY great freshman spotter.  Today, I was on the mall, the long walkway across campus, talking with friends (see #3), and I could just spot the freshman right off the bat.  Clue #1: They ALWAYS have their keys/ID/Creighton lanyard.  Whether around their neck, in their pocket, or attached to their keys, this distinctly freshman trend is always in sight.  One of my friends in Pi Kappa Alpha even told me that a couple girls came over to the house wearing theirs lanyards around their neck.  THEY WORE THEM TO A PARTY?! I am so glad he confronted them and told them doing that was a no-no.  Clue #2: They never walk alone.  They typically walk in groups of 2 or 3.  People who have been on campus more than a year know where they are going and they don't fear walking to class alone.  But freshman? They need a pack.  They need SOMEONE there... even if it's their annoying roommate.  Clue #3: The girls dress up for class.  It's college. Class is early. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE.  Girls feel the need to impress people in their classes, but really, it is unnecessary.  Isn't it uncomfortable sitting in those boring cores in nice clothes? And, to be honest, who do have to impress?  Have you SEEN the majority of Creighton boys? Yeah... Clue #4: They take FOREVER in the student center.  They aren't used to using ID cards and being efficient in the world of Java Jay and Skutt.  They take their sweet time.  Well little freshman, while you are taking 20 minutes deciding on the kind of latte you want to order, all I want to do is punch you in the back of the head (sorry I am so violent...)  Even though freshman are easy to sopt and ridiculously predictable, I love spotting them and reminiscing the days of my lanyard carrying, group walking, nice clothes wearing, slowness on Creighton's campus.

3. Seeing people on the mall.  I love congregating outside Skutt and talking with friends and acquaintances about the summer.  Even if I don't know a person well, everyone has an interesting story to tell about their days in the sun.  Not to mention, I got to see a buttload of my sorority sisters on campus today and it was AMAZING.  

I am not a big school person, but I love being on campus and starting off a fresh, new year.  I love not having hours of studying to do (YET) and seeing people I haven't in a long time... or ever, in that fact!  I love being the oldest on campus.  It makes me appreciate college more and reminds me just how much I have loved my time at school.  All I can say is that this is going to be a GREAT year. Watch out, Creighton.

No comments: