|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Taylor Family

Hamish Taylor and his wife Molly (along with their two boys, Liam and Dillon) flew to the States today for their 2 and a half month furlough. 

Furlough is basically a period of time where missionaries and church plant leaders go to their "sending" country, visit all their supporters (individuals and churches), and give updates on their church plant in hope that their current supporters will continue to support them in the future.  This is extremely important since early church plants, including Rechurch, don't provide staff members with salaries.  Most finances are given from outside supporters and that's the money that Rechurch uses for all of their funding. Pretty big deal.

I know I only have a few more weeks left here, but it is going to be super weird not to have the Taylor's around.  I mean, Hamish is our head teaching pastor and Molly, although not an "official" staff member, is a huge contribution to the church from morning tea set-up to helping out in Sunday School.  Hamish was also one of my supervisors... I met with him fortnightly to discuss topics in the books he assigned me to read for my internship, he led one of the Bible Studies I attended, and we spent lots of time together debriefing and just talking about my internship experience as a whole.  He's been a really encouraging mentor to me and guide as I have just started to get a taste of what church planting is all about.  Not to mention, Molly and him have been extremely good to me as friends and fellow believers.  They let me live with them for two weeks (fee of charge by the way) after the February 22 earthquake.  They also let me use their showers when Neil and Yo's water was cut out for a week.  I also can't even begin to count the number of times they made me meals and drove me around when I needed a ride. 

They are two of the most generous and selfless people I have met and I have been so grateful to get to know this wonderful couple of the five months I was able to spend with them.  I am so thankful for their kind hearts and hospitality.  They will be dearly missed by Rechurch over the time they are gone... I just hope I get to meet up with them in the near future!

No comments: