|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

An Exciting Week Full of Firsts!

This past week was very very exciting!  For the first time in ages, HEAPS has happened and kept me on my toes!  Here is what I have been up to:

1.  I got a job!  This for REAL - unlike my April Fool's joke.  Two Fridays ago, I had my first EVER screening teaching interview with an elementary school principal in Papillion, Nebraska.  This phone call was basically answering questions about my teaching philosophies.  45-minutes after that interview, she emailed me and told me she would like to have a "personal" interview (over Skype) with me.  So last Wednesday, I got all dressed up, and had an interview with her, another principal, and the current art teacher from one of the schools I would be working at.  I had never had a personal interview before, so I was pretty nervous... I felt a little bit better after I made them all laugh a couple times though ;)  45-minutes after THAT interview, they emailed me and told me that although they couldn't give me the official offer, they were recommending me to HR for that position.  The next day, I got the official job offer... which I GLADLY accepted.  Starting in early August, I will be the elementary (K-6) art teacher at three different elementary schools in Papillion-La Vista Schools.  I am SO excited... nervous as, but excited nonetheless.  I am so thankful for this job and having something lined up for when I return from New Zealand.  Praise the LORD! My FIRST big girl job... WHOOO!

2.  I ran a 10K!  This was my first race ever - how AWESOME to be able to run it in New Zealand, too!  It was a really fun run... good distance, great crowd, heaps of runners.  ReChurch even had a water tent at the 3K marker, so it was fun being encouraged and cheered for by my church family!  I didn't have a goal time in mind, I just really wanted to finish it without stopping/walking.  I ended up finishing in 1:01:08... Not too shabby if I do say so myself.  It was the fastest time I had ever run this distance, so I am pretty pleased.  Except, since I was so close to one-hour flat, I am definitely going to run and train so I can beat one hour.  I will. I will.


3.  I saw my first sunrise and sunset in one day... not any old sunrise and sunset though... I watched the sun rise in Christchurch (east coast) and then a caravan of us drove through the southern alps and watched the sun set in Punakaiki (west coast).  Such an incredible opportunity.  Even though it was quite rainy and dreary, it was still beautiful and I got to see some great sites along the way!  I was able to see the famous "pancake rocks" and blowholes on the western shores.  Man, God created such a beautiful country.


The next week will be filled with all sorts of 'firsts' as well, so make sure you check back next Wednesday.  I am going on a Southern Island adventure with a guy I went to Creighton with.  We have all sorts of crazy as things planned... just you wait for THOSE updates :)

Love you all.

No comments: