Kiwis don't own laundry dryers... Well, a couple do, but about 90% of people don't. I didn't realize this until after I arrived here when Yo and Neil were showing me around their house and how to do different things. They have washing machines (thankfully...), but yeah, no dryers. I've been without dryers before... pretty much go anywhere outside the U.S. and dryers are just not a way of life. But for 6 months? This has been a new experience.
When I first got here and did my washing, I absolutely LOVED drying my clothes on the line. First of all, laundry is my favorite chore anyways, so hanging laundry on the outside clothesline was super therapeutic for me. And it was blazing hot for the first month, so my clothes would always dry super fast. The only downside to line drying is the fact that my American clothing was definitely not made for it... a lot of my stuff is pretty stretched out now and I will probably have to get rid of things before I leave. Besides that though, it was super easy just to hang clothes out and let them dry when I had a free afternoon.
Four months in and I am kind of over it. It's a normal part of life now, but since it is flippin' cold out, everything takes FOREVER to dry. Why? Well, it basically rains everyday so I have had to leave my clothes out to dry on clothing horses throughout the house. Laundry isn't just an afternoon thing every week or two anymore... It's a necessity to do your washing at LEAST once a week since it takes about two days for your clothes to fully dry. If I don't keep up, I'll run out of things to wear (who knew THAT was possible)... Not to mention, Ethan goes around and takes my laundry off the clothing horses... and NOT the items I would like him to personally be carrying around the house.
Must admit that I am excited to go back to the states and have dryers.
No comments:
Post a Comment