Tomorrow, I leave New Zealand and make my way back to the States... and like I have said on numerous occasions and frequently in blog posts, leaving is extremely bittersweet.
I'll of course miss the remarkable scenery and the beauty of the country. I'll miss some of the incredible food they have here (Steak pies, custard twists, DELICIOUS coffee, and Indian takeaways). I'll miss going into the Rechurch office every week. But really, the things I will miss most about this place are the people... isn't that the case most of the time, though?
I have made some incredible relationships with the most beautiful people here. I am truly convinced that Kiwis are some of the most friendly and hospitable people on earth. I look back to January when I first arrived and I am just blown away by all the people I have had the opportunity to share life with - people who welcomed me from day one and were eager to expose me to Kiwi culture. They loved me from the start without really knowing me... and after six months of living life together, we love each other even more. The Rechurch community is something that I will always remember - the devoted individuals that attended every week, the younger singles and skeptics that were testing the water, the mums and their kids that came to Sunday school, and of course, the Rechurch staff. I knew I was going to meet people and make friends, I mean HELLO, I was the community outreach and family ministries intern, but I had no idea how strong those bonds would become. It's even more of a shame, because I feel like over the past couple of months I have bonded even more with people that it's so sad that we are already parting ways... so so short. I have loved being able to go out in the community and get involved - whether that included earthquake relief, attending pub quiz every Tuesday, walking around and doing cultural observations (that sometime forced me to talk to people), traveling around most of the South Island, or even working out/going to Zumba. I have met people in the most unusual and spectacular ways.
I have been continuously blown away by the ways God has been working in the hearts of the people here. I have been witness to hard hearts softened, gang members turning their lives around, broken families restored, broken people healed, and people really starting to open up to the gospel. I have seen growth and honesty and love. I have been able to be a part of a real community that loves and cares for one another for exactly who they are, no strings attached. It's just unbelievable to look back at the past six months and remember all that God has done for people here. It's easy to look at all the negative things and think back to the times of suffering, but honestly, I can't help but praise and offer worship up to the LORD for all the amazing things he's done in CHCH. How lucky and blessed I have been to be a part of his plan for this incredible city.
Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY looking forward to going back to the States... I mean, I get to see my family, friends, and start a new job! There are SO many good things waiting in Chicago and Omaha and I can't wait to experience them. Not to mention, one of my best friends is getting married the week after I return. I think having such incredible things to go back to right away makes leaving a little more bearable. Just like New Zealand, the reason I love the States so much is the people.
(But really, if all my family and best friends could come to New Zealand and live with me, I think that would be perfect... I mean, have you LOOKED at any of my pictures? Stunning.)
I just need to keep remembering that God will be using me wherever I go and that it doesn't matter where I am, as long as I am loving the people in that community, building relationships, and giving him the glory and praise in whatever I do and on my journey to be more like His Son.
I can say with assurance that I will never ever EVER forget my time here in New Zealand, the beauty of the land, the people who changed me for the better, and the incredible ways that God moved and revealed Himself.
Here is a list of some of my favorite things in New Zealand and some of my favorite memories from my six months living in Christchurch:
- Traveling around the South Island and being able to see and do so many beautiful things (Hurray for Bungy jumping!)- The Rechurch staff - incredible people
- Ethan being my own personal alarm clock in the morning
- Reading heaps of books and discussing them with Amy
- Resound (kid's music class) and all it's hilarity... not to mention frequently making a fool out of myself because I was the only one there without a baby...
- Having afternoon tea with Yo while Ethan took a nap - awesome girl talk
- Being a part of two vastly different, but both amazing, Bible Studies- Sunday night dinners and team time with the Rechurch staff which always ended in either an extremely competitive game or an awkward comment by Nate
- Making meals for the Student Army after the 22/2 EQ and delivering meals around the Aranui community
- Going whale watching in Kaikoura with my host family
- Seeing 'Harry Potter' before the rest of the world (I love the international date line)
- Watching my friend Ange play ice hockey on Monday nights
- Zumba every week with my neighbor, Carrie
- Running my first 10k
- Being taught the rules of rugby by Samoan Maori guys and in return, explaining them weird things about American culture, like Judge Judy and Twinkies
- Learning how to drive on the opposite side of the road
- Having the opportunity to ride the bus every day to work
- Surviving an earthquake
- Teaching kiwis how to play ultimate frisbee
- Going to ridiculous themed parties
- Weekly pub quiz on Tuesdays at the Fox & Ferret... which we NEVER won... shoot
- Learning the 'Hoedown Throwdown' with the rest of the Rechurch team
- Weird movie nights with Neil and Yo
- Learning the metric system and Kiwi slang... I love Kiwi culture
- Teaching my Thursday night Bible study how to play Telephone pictionary and Mafia. Hilarious
- Meeting some of my favorite women for fortnightly coffee
- The Naked Baker... probably one of the BEST bakeries in CHCH
- Seeing a Haka performed
- Cricket... kidding, I hate cricket. Wicked boring.
There are just so many memories that I am going to take away from my experience here in New Zealand. I am so incredibly thankful that I had this opportunity...
I'll be back, that's for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment