I am just finishing my first week of work at the ReChurch offices... and it has been AWESOME.
Right now, all my tasks and assignments have been really fun and enjoyable: writing up reports about cultural observations (aka: going around town and people watching... it's what I do BEST!), making crafts and props for the music class that is starting in less than two weeks, and reading a really great book called No Perfect People Allowed by John Burke. It has been so fun getting out of the house and wandering around town and just observing everything and everyone around me...
... Today was special... Today, I met Bruce.
As soon as I got off the bus, I headed over to get a coffee before work at Coffee Culture, a delicious cafe right around the corner from the office. As I was waiting for my coffee, I look behind me, and there was a middle-aged man sitting in the booth closest to me. It ALMOST turned into one of those awkward moments where we both were caught looking at each other, until I noticed what he was doing in the booth... He was drawing people.
I just looked at him and said, "Wow... those are BEAUTIFUL drawings..."
The most expected American response would be, "Thank you" and then the person would just continue to draw without much more recognition. How do I know this? Because that's exactly what I would have done. Kiwi's, however, are clearly NOT Americans... Bruce's response? A motion to sit across from him. He moved all of his drawing tools and papers aside to give me room to share his space.
Looking at him, one at first glance might categorize him as, well, "creepy"... loads of tattoos spreading across his arms, long wavy blond hair, heavier set, and obviously had been living out of a suitcase for a long time... it probably didn't help that he looks at people SO intensely. Almost too intensely at first, you might think, but as soon as I got talking with him, I realized how gentle his spirit was and how genuinely friendly and NOT creepy he was...
We got talking about all his art work - drawings of people and graphite portraits. I commented on his technique and the softness of it all... he, like a Kiwi, humbly denied this, and just said, "I need more practice." He told me he had been drawing for over ten years, mostly with graphite and charcoal, but hopes to move into color when he can afford to get some really good pastels. We talked about life drawing classes, the beauty of imperfections on the human body, and how we both love to draw eyes. He admitted to me, "A lot of people think I'm a bloody molester... but in reality, I am just studying faces and eyes because I am wondering in my head how they would look on paper in black and white." It broke my heart to hear that he felt judged, but at the same time, I affirmed him in his thoughts and told him I actually often think the same thing when I see or meet someone interesting... that I, too, would like to draw them.
What started as a quick note of praise turned into a 35 minute discussion about life and art. I completely forgot about getting to work... and on my way out, He introduced himself, "I'm Bruce" (I thought he said 'Boss' at first, which would have been AWESOME) and I told him my name. I also told him that I hoped I would see him around more. Which I really truly do hope.
I love meeting people unexpectedly and just 100% enjoying their company and presence.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment