It's hard to believe I have already been in New Zealand for a week... part of me feels that I have been here a month, another part of me feels like I literally just stepped off the airplane an hour ago.
Over the past week, besides doing a little sightseeing, hanging out with my host family, and getting to know the ReChurch staff, I also had a little orientation time with Hamish, the pastor of leadership and teaching, Whitney, the communications director, and Amy, the children and family director. We discussed my personality, strengths, weaknesses, how to handle conflict, culture, and the necessity of spiritual, mental, and emotional growth all in preparation for my internship. Now that that week is over however...
I started my first day in the ReChurch office TODAY! YAY! Last week was great to get a little insight into the background of what I might be encountering over the next six months, but it was nice to come into work today and actually have some things to do. Basically, all my tasks right now are decently minor and seem more like research or homework than anything else. But as time goes on, I am going to become more and more actively involved in the areas of Community Outreach as well as Children and Family ministry.
For example, here is what some of my current and upcoming tasks are: Writing a report on the Kairos class (for any potential future interns ReChurch may have), Cultural Observations (going out into certain areas of the city, talking with people, and just basically writing down everything about the NZ culture I see and hear), Reading a couple books (My first one is No Perfect People Allowed by John Burke), journaling daily about my experiences and everything going on spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and relationally), and creating some props for ReSound, the new Children's music class that I apparently am going to help lead... HILARIOUS).
I love how intentional the people are at ReChurch with making sure that I am actively involved with people, especially the "unchurched" and "de-churched" peoples of ChristChurch, at all times. I am strongly encouraged to find a part time job (and if I can't, then volunteer elsewhere or join communal clubs around the area). For example, I am going to be going to a local pub every week and joining a pub quiz team (a good place to meet young, single non-christians), I am starting to run again (so hopefully I can meet people at the gym or around town on the trails), joining a Bible Study built for skeptics of Christianity, and I am also, as I mentioned before, helping lead a music class for parents of young children once a week! I am not sure what everything will look like quite yet, but I am really exited for all of these new and exciting opportunities.
Please continue to pray for my internship - That I can approach each encounter and event with a loving, Christ-like heart and attitude, that I would be unwavering in speaking truth in my encounters with unbelievers, and that I would have really great work ethic and be able to complete the tasks that ReChurch assigns me.
No comments:
Post a Comment