As most of you already know, I just had my BFA Art Exhibition at Creighton University. Anyone graduating with their BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in studio art is required to have their own art exhibition in the gallery on campus. After months hard work, countless trips to the art and hardware stores, little sleep, and drama, it finally came together.
I was really fortunate to be able to have my show with a really good friend of mine named Sarah Stormberg. Sarah and I met my sophomore year of college in our beginning painting class. We didn’t become great friends right away, but we began talking and became quick acquaintances. From that class on, we have had almost every art class together. The end of my junior year is really when we started to become really close. When I found out she was also going to be getting her BFA, I thought it would be really cool if we were able to have our shows together. She was unsure about when she was actually graduating, so I didn’t bank on the fact that we would actually be graduating at the same time and be able to have our shows together. Well, after finding out we were going to both be graduating this December and after some other crazy drama happened, we found out we WERE going to be having our show together. Since summer, Sarah and I have been sharing a small studio space together and have been in there working almost everyday for hours on end. Although we were stressed out and crazy busy most of the time, I was so glad to be working with her. She has such a great attitude and is so fun and carefree. She was so awesome to work with and honestly, I couldn’t have asked for a better person to have my show with. Not to mention, our work looked AWESOME together.
The title of our exhibition is RINSE + REPEAT. We chose this title because it was a good name for how I technically worked and created my art but complimentary for Sarah in terms of her theme of 21st century pop culture and a look on feminism and fashion.
Starting two weeks before our opening, Sarah and I were lucky to be able to take down the art show before us and begin installing our work. We had almost every installed and set up in the gallery a full week before our show so that the last week was just fixing and putting together minor details like lighting and patching up scratches on the gallery walls.
Our opening was the 29th of October. Sarah and I were super nervous. For one, we weren’t sure how people would react or feel about our artwork. Secondly, we really were afraid not very many people would come to our show (since the gallery opening before us only had 75 people total in 4 hours show up). The night came, the food was all set up, and the bar was ready… we were ready too… we thought.
Over a three hour period, over 300 people showed up to our opening… which is INCREDIBLE!!! Thank you to everyone who came and supported us, even if it was just for a few moments! It was really fun being able to see old professors, my family, and friends who have moved away! Even some of my coworkers, classmates, a ton of my sorority sisters, and my cooperating teachers from student teaching came to see my work! It was like a giant reunion. I enjoyed being able to go around and tell people about my work and meet art supporters from all over the area. To be honest, my face really hurt after the night was over because of how much I was smiling and talking. Overall, we had really good reactions to our artwork and everything we had done. I was even able to sell four of my pieces, which was great since all that money is going toward my fund for New Zealand.
I am going to be making a separate blog that displays my artwork and gives descriptions of each piece. Also, since most of my thesis research and background came from interviews with influential people in my life, I will also be including the interviews that correspond to each artwork. When I get that blog up and going, I will let you all know so you can look at my work and read through the meanings more thoroughly… oh, and you can buy the pieces too if you want… J
No comments:
Post a Comment