|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Daily Devotionals... Just what I need

I really enjoy to read. I never like reading books that I know I HAVE to read, but when it comes to reading for fun and reading a book of my choice during free time, it's one of my favorite things to do. Lately though, I haven't really felt like I have had much time to read. With student teaching, youth group, and work, I feel like I rarely even have time to just sit.

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned how I just feel overwhelmed and incredibly busy all of the time... barely having time for myself let alone my friends, family, and most importantly, God. I also mentioned how down, sad, and heartbroken I have felt lately... how alone I have felt on a consistent basis.

For my birthday, one of the other female youth sponsors, Jackie, gave me a women's devotional book... one page devos for every day of the year. I was really excited about this, because it was something that was easy and would not take too much time, but something that I feel would also benefit my personal relationship with Christ. Well, the devos for yesterday and today stuck me pretty hard.

Here they are:

1. TOO BUSY: Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don't quit in hard times; pray all the harder. (Romans 12:11-12)

Has the busy pace of like robbed you of the peace of mind that should be yours as a result of your relationship with Jesus Christ? If so, you are simply too busy for your own good. Through His Son Jesus Christ, God offers you a peace that passes human understanding, but He won't force His peace upon you; in order to experience it, you must slow down long enough to sense His presence and His love. Today, as a gift to yourself, to your family, and to the world, slow down and claim the inner peace that is your spiritual birthright: the peace of Jesus Christ. When you ask, it will be given to you.

Prayer: Dear Lord, when the quickening pace of life leaves me with little time for worship or for praise, help me to reorder my priorities. When the demands of the day leave me distracted and discouraged, let me turn to Jesus for the peace that only He can give. And then, when I have accepted the spiritual abundance that is mine through Jesus Christ, let me share His message and His love with all who cross my path.

2. WHEN IT'S HARD TO BE CHEERFUL: Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you. (2 Cor. 13:11)

On some days, as every woman knows, it's hard to be cheerful. Sometimes, as the demands of the world increase and our energy sags, we feel less like cheering up and more like tearing up. But even in our darkest hours, we can turn to God, and he will give us comfort. Few things in life are more sad, or, for that matter, more absurd, than a grumpy Christian. Christ promises us lives of abundance and joy, but He does not force His joy upon us. We must claim His joy for ourselves, and when we do, Jesus, in turn, fills our spirits with His power and His love. When we earnestly commit ourselves to the Savior of mankind, when we place Jesus at the center of our lives and trust Him as our personal Savior, He will transform us, not just for today, but for all eternity. Then we, as God's Children, can share Christ's joy and His message with a world that needs both.
_____________________________

I know that these devos are designed to be very general and non-specific so that they can reach out to all the women reading them no matter what situation they are in, but I can't help but acknowledge the placement of these devos in my life at this right time. I mean really? One after the other focused on business and the need to be joyful? I find these devos to be a blessing, a small "God wink" or reminder of where HE is guiding my heart... He desires me to fully seek Him and although this isn't the means to the end, he is helping guide me back to the right path.

I need little reminders now and again so that my priorities are straight. So thankful.

No comments: