|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Monday, November 9, 2009

Encounter


Last November, I spontaneously decided to go on a Campus Ministry retreat called Encounter (with Christ). Retreats are pretty big at Creighton, and I had heard great things about them, but this was my first one. I guess it helped me feel a little more comfortable when a bunch of my friends also signed up. I was nervous before we left. With Creighton being primarily Catholic, I wasn't sure if this retreat would be primarily geared toward Catholicism and I would be one of the only Protestants attending. Overall, I just really didn't know what to expect.

That weekend turned out to be one of my favorite weekends I have had in college. It was more than just a weekend away from the hectic schedule at school, but it was a time I was able to join in community with people who had similar values to my own and feel rejuvenated and encouraged in my own walk with Christ. I met some people I never would have without the retreat and strengthened the relationships I already had. I saw God at work in the hearts of others and in my own heart. It was so memorable. Every moment.

One day last year, I decided to apply for a leadership position on the next Encounter. To my surprise, I got it! I was so excited! Not to mention, a bunch of my closest friends were going to be leaders as well! Over the past few months, our leadership team has met once a week to talk about the logistics of the trip, form groups, work with our partners, and assign jobs/committees. I was asked to speak on the retreat, which I was both really excited for and really nervous about. I am not a very good public speaker 'cause I get pretty flustered and anxious, but when I do talk, I normally think what I talk about is pretty decent. The awkward nervousness is all worth it. Anyways, the actual retreat was this past weekend, and I can say that this also makes the list of top ten weekends I have had at Creighton.

Being a leader this time around was a completely different experience than when I was a "retreatant". I knew so much more about what was going to happen, and instead of experiencing certain things for the first time and by surprise, I got to witness the excitement and joy that the others had. I also LOVED being a leader because I seriously think my small group was BOMB. I love my fellow student leader Dan and our adult leader Andrew. Seriously, I couldn't have asked for two men who were more caring and faithful than these two. They amazed me and encouraged me the whole time. If you both are reading this, thank you for your inspiration. I also loved the students in my group. It was really cool getting to know some of them for the first time. I was lucky enough to even have one of my own sorority sisters in my group which was incredible. They were 7 of the most peaceful, introspective, caring, and honest people I have encountered in a long time. They were quick to listen and open with the rest of the group about theirs lives, their apprehensions, and their faiths. God is so goo
d. I am so blessed to have gotten to be in a group with these people. They taught me a lot by their spirits and maturity. Not to mention, we were the green group and Dan and I bought ugly green sweaters from Salvation army for our group and they were a huge hit. AND we got first in the skit contest. NBD.

Other than my small group, I was constantly blown away by the sheer brilliance of our leadership staff. Each one of the adult and student leaders were representatives of Christ. They were prayerful, considerate, loving, encouraging, and not to mention SO MUCH FUN. I know my experience wouldn't be the same without each person being there. We truly were a team. It was awesome.

God really worked in my heart this weekend. Through my talk (which went way better than I ever expected it to), through the entire team, through reflection and prayer, through the witness talks of others, through small group discussions, through letters, and through one-on-one talks with some people. I heard HIS whisper throughout the weekend guiding me and leading my words. I loved how intimate of a retreat itwas... we all shared our hearts with not only with each other but with God. People who never thought they would get anything out of a campus ministry retreat were changed. Even though the attendants are mostly Catholic, it's during times like these retreats that I LOVE celebrating the love and life of Christ with other faithful believers. I loved hearing how our Heavenly Father was working through others.

I was once again reminded about how REAL God is. The beautiful and calming atmosphere in the middle of the woods was only part of the reason why. Every person came on that retreat for a reason, even if they didn't know what it was at first. This weekend was a reminder of how hopelessly human we all are. We all struggle and have imperfections, but how BLESSED we are to have a Loving and PERFECT God who wants a relationship with us and therefore loves us for who we are. Through the sacrifice of His Son, we are saved and given the opportunity to taste the Goodness of the Lord. Being in community, recognizing our needs for reflection and contemplation, listening to the wisdom of others, and spending time in prayer all facilitate an opportunity to learn more about the God who is calling out our names.

After such an amazing weekend, it's easy to be on a "retreat high". But, I am determined to remember not the retreat for the retreat, but remember the Beauty and Goodness of the LORD and be aware of His voice and blessings every single day.



No comments: