|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hello Motherhood.

No. I am NOT pregnant.  Just to clarify.  BUT I do nanny.  At least three days a week, I nanny/babysit 4 kids: Lydia (almost 5), Max (7), Julie is (9), and Joslyn is (11).  They are definitely a handful some days. I don't even nanny them for a long period of time; just an hour or two before school and/or an hour or two after school.

The mornings are hilarious, to say the least.  I am NOT a morning person and I have to be there at about 7:00 am.  Ew. So first off, I am tired and out of it and have to deal with 4 kids who are also extremely crabby and tired.  I wake them up, make them breakfast, I drink about 2 cups of coffee, clean the dishes, make sure they all get dressed and ready for school (including having to sit and physically watch Max brush his teeth, because he HATES to do this and frequently lies to me about brushing them), make sure they have their backpacks ready/homework done, and then I drive them to school.  I feel like such a mom.  They give me hugs as they get out of the car too... that kind of makes my day though, I'm not going to lie.  Then I take the little one, Lydia, to early childhood class.  The first day of school, I got some nice glares, mostly from parents probably thinking that she was MY child.  Sometimes, I play up the whole maternal instinct thing... just for the looks...

After school, I pick them all up. I love picking Lydia up especially because she always brings me art projects from class.  I have one currently on my fridge. I take them home, make them a snack, and patrol while they do their homework.  They are really good and focused most of the time... I have had to give Max a time out and I had to separate all the girls because of fighting (it kind of reminded me of me and my sisters when we were younger...).  

Overall, I really like it.  I like hearing their ridiculous and pointless stories.  I love that they laugh at pretty much anything (or they are just laughing at me in my attempt to make jokes/relate to little kids... cause let's face it, I am really sarcastic and little kids don't understand sarcasm).  I love it when they ask me to help them with their homework.  I love jumping on their trampoline with them.  There are just so many little things, when it comes to hanging around little kids, that I just really enjoy.

I am NO where ready to be a mom.  And I know that being a mom is 24/7, not just 6 hours a week or so, but for right now, my little glimpses of motherhood have been fairly enjoyable.  I hope I get some good stories out of this experience!

1 comment:

Alyse said...

mama b. you will definitely have plenty of stories with 4 babes running around. oh the joys of childcare.

and always be sarcastic with children. they never catch on and that's the point.