
So, the philanthropy event I had been planning all semester is DONE! DONE! I can't believe it. I worked so hard on it and there was so much drama, but now, I am all finished. For the longest time, I didn't actually think it would come fast enough (let alone if it would happen at all).
This past Sunday, March 30th, Gamma Phi Beta held our annual Spring Philanthropy event, WING FLING. It is a pretty big tailgating party before one of our home baseball games. We serve chicken wings, veggies, chips, dessert and we raffle off a bunch of great prizes (For example: free half hour massages, tons of different gift cards, and t-shirts). All the money that we raise from donations, sponsorships, and selling tickets, goes toward CampFire USA, GPhiB's National Philanthropy. This organization works toward building leadership skills and healthy lifestyle tips in kids all around the country through after school programs. We tutor at Jackson Elementary twice a week, so being able to donate the money to this organization means so much to us!
As philanthropy chair, I had been organizing this event since the semester started. At first, everything was going great and working out. The closer the event became, the more things started to fall apart. This meant CRAZY stress for me. It is pretty intimidating holding a position like this. I jumped right in and had to start planning our MAJOR event and I really had no idea what I was doing. There were a lot of things that went wrong, but in the end, it was beautiful. I am so pleased with our turnout and the way all the members worked at the event. AND people actually showed up... a lot of people... SO PLEASED! I couldn't have asked for it to go better really... I mean I guess we could have had nicer weather, but that is just a small detail. We had the event and people came and we raised money for CampFire. Those are the most important things!
Other than Wing Fling, we had initiation the day/night before for the new girls. I am a proud "mama" of three (Carolyn Wanberg and I are sharing three daughters in Gamma Phi) and I was able to finally reveal myself after a week of present and clue giving. It was so fun! I was hiding in the men's bathroom and they had to find me... seeing their reactions was priceless. I caught it all on video too, so when Carolyn gets back from the DR, she will be able to share the experience.
I have a paper due tomorrow at 6pm, but miraculously, I finished it tonight... before 11... this is a major breakthrough! So, as a treat, I am going to go see All Time Low and The Rocket Summer at a concert in Des Moines with Wirtz. Pretty pumped to say the least. Otherwise, I don't really have much else going on this week besides art, which is fun work, so it should not be too painful.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment