|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Purists... and Jesus.

Something you should know about my family is that we are pretty opinionated... especially in terms of things we know a lot about, what we think we may know a lot about, or what we are passionate about. If someone in my family disagrees with a statement, an article, or anything, someone is bound to speak up. Yeah... it ends up in a lot of fights... but I guess that is just 'Cavender' stubbornness running through our blood (One of my new years resolutions is to think more before I speak and be more considerate in my personal opinions when I express them to people who most likely disagree... whoo. Go me!).

Well, a couple of weeks ago (about), I was at a coffee shop with a few family members. Inevitably, two of the individuals get into a discussion about the environment and the political and economic effects. Well, this discussion quickly turned into a debate. Something else you should know about my family is that we GREATLY vary in our political, economic, environmental (etc...) perspectives. Well, this particular debate/discussion was about carbon emissions and reduction policies/acts. Family Member 1 (FM1) is extremely environmentally conscious and was distraught that the US has not taken initiatives to make significant CO2 emission reductions. Family Member 2 (FM2) knows a lot about economics and started talking about how the US doesn't take charge because of economic security- China and India, leading countries in the economic and financial race, haven't made significant political efforts to reduce CO2 emissions, no neither do we. After some back and forth talk and the conversation getting a little heated.

FM1's main statements/ideas were: Why can't the US just see that this is wrong? The earth is being destroyed and the US should stand up and make efforts to help change. They should choose what is right. FM2's main statements/ideas were: China and India control economically and the US recognizes that. They won't make individual decisions so they can stay in good relations or at least forward economically. That's just how the world works... that's just the way it is. Everything is controlled by money and power and politics.

FM1: "Well, that's not right."
FM2: "Well, that's just the way it is."

More heat. Examples and various scenarios are thrown at each other.

FM2: "Well, your ideas are just purist."
FM1: "Oh, absolutely they are."
FM2: "Well, they will never work."

This entire conversation, even though it was about economic and environmental policies, made me think beyond politics. I was convicted of more than just what the US should or should not do in terms of a CO2 Emission Act (ask me later for my real opinion). My heart and my thoughts, especially toward the end of the conversation, turned me to Christian thought and theology.

Here it goes: I consider myself to be a little more liberal and purist in my theology.

I believe love works. God IS Love. I believe that if we want to show others what being a Christian is all about, we need to first learn what love really is and then SHOW Christ's love to others. I believe that God's love truly moves hearts.

FM1's ideas rang so close to home for me. There are always going to be people around us (and people in the world) who find greater importance in worldly things (ex: financial stability). They aren't going to stand up for what might be right (ex: trying to reduce carbon emissions) because they are afraid that their well-being, their lives, their personal prosperity will be put at risk. The foundation "they" built might get rocky. They are too self-concerned and dare not tread the water of potential loss, uncertainty, or disfavor... even if it's the right thing to do. It's all about them.

I agree with FM2 though, don't get me wrong. The sad reality of our world is that it IS all about them. All about stability. And there is not much we can do to change that... BUT... why not TRY? Why be a follower (In this case, like the US)? Why are we too scared to step up for the good? Because favor might not be toward us and we may fail. Christians are persecuted, tormented, and told what to do by today's culture. Should Christians, followers of Jesus, a radical of His time, choose to follow or counter what culture tells us to do? I hope counter. I hope we stick up for what is right. I hope we see the world as purists... wanting to help make a difference in a broken and corrupted society and world. God made the world perfect... in HIS image... and it is Sin and corruption that changed it. Changed us. I would hope that in a tough situation I would follow Jesus and do what is right, even in I am unsure of the result. Even if I am the only one and it still fails, having the hope that the Lord will restore all things to the way he wants them... to the way He created them to be. I don't want to say, "Well, that's just the way the world is" and accept whatever is in front of me.

God called you and me to be different. To be radicals that stand up for something right. We should be purists in heart... understanding the sad, realistic aspects of our world but NOT accepting them. Knowing that things are broken, but doing all we can to be examples of Christ on Earth and show love to people. Having hope and finding truth in God's restorative power and His PURE love.

Like Ghandi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

No comments: