Most of all, I think I love how people pleasantly surprise me through their love, kindness, and unselfishness. I think a lot of people are underestimated in their abilities and strengths. To often, the small, yet meaningful things people contribute to society, to families, or to an individual, are looked past. Something I am experimenting and trying to work on is getting to know people on a deeper and more personal level... the man bagging my groceries, the custodian at the school I am student teaching at, the girl at 13th street who makes me coffee, or even some of my closest friends. I am purposefully trying to initiate personal conversations with the hopes that they will lead to a means of greater understanding and appreciation of one another. It doesn't always work, but those few times when it does, it's totally worth it. I want to acknowledge the things these people offer to the world... my world... even if they are slight, or even what some might say insignificant. I'm just trying to open my eyes to the beauty in things that may seem mundane or unrecognizable.
Here are some recent beautiful moments I have encountered with average, everyday people.
Ms. Anne Chapman - Special Education Teacher at Adams Elementary School:
This woman is the definition of a rock star. She spends hours upon hours with young children that have serious cognitive and physical disabilities and she never complains. She changes diapers of 5-9 year olds on a daily basis. I saw her interacting with her students today and I was reminded of a person's true unselfishness. She's not married, never had kids, but from day one of her teaching career, these kids have been her family. She whips them into shape... and the kids LOVE her. Unfortunately, she is retiring next year. She helps me have greater faith and hope in the future of the educational system.
Kelly - Customer Service girl at Best Buy:
My new digital camera I got for Christmas broke two days after Christmas when my sister knocked it out of my hand right onto a tile floor. We got a warranty on it, but when I took it to Best Buy, the Geek Squad told me that they could only really guarantee a service check... not an exchange. Luckily, after a couple of weeks, I got a call from Best Buy telling me I got approved for a camera exchange... but only for the amount of the camera when it was purchased. Well, we got the camera on sale, so if I wanted to get the same camera, I would have to pay the remaining amount... $70... ugh. Well, I decided to go for it since I really wanted the same camera and good quality. When I took all my paperwork up to Kelly at the customer service desk, she asked me what happened to my old camera. I explained the story and mentioned I was bummed that I had to pay for the remaining amount, but it was better than downgrading. She typed in all my paperwork and information into the computer, but never asked for my credit card. She handed me a receipt... and after seeing my confused face, she said, "I changed the price on the camera so you don't have to pay." "WHAT?! Seriously?" "Yeah, I mean, it was your Christmas present... it's not right you have to pay." Kelly, if we ever meet again, I owe you a HUGE hug... seriously though... you rock. Thank you for your patience when listening to me ramble about my unfortunate camera experience and being so understanding.
Dan Hemel (Custodian at Adams Elementary), Ava (old woman), Rick, and Jason (Construction workers):
Today, I got stuck in a driveway right outside the elementary school I student teach at. I was trying to turn around and this driveway (Ava's driveway) was pure ice. My tires were just spinning. The driveway unfortunately was one of those super steep ones that went down to a lower garage. Well, to make a long story shorter, I got stuck at the very bottom of this driveway. These men came and rescued me... after a lot of slipping, sliding, "towing", and fishtailing. Rick eventually was the one who got my car out of the driveway. I am SO thankful, because without their time and aid, my car would be stuck in Ava's driveway till April. OH, and Ava made me cookies 'cause she felt so bad. Yes, please.
My Gamma Phi Sisters:
Sorority Recruitment was aLL last week. There were a lot of stressful moments, but no matter what, we bonded together and worked through them. Everyone was so loving and supportive throughout this long process and it just reminded me of why I am a Gamma Phi. We aren't caddy, petty girls, but we truly love each other like sisters. We may not always agree and there will be stress, but first and foremost, we love each other, and nothing will ever change that. I am so lucky to be involved in such a great organization.
Josh Laughlin:
One of my best friends in Omaha... I just hope he feels the same way, ha. We try to meet every once and awhile to talk and catch up on life. He listens to my ridiculous stories, laughs with me, makes fun of me (all in good humor), and is always quick to encourage. Even though most of our conversation is spent laughing and telling stories, I am thankful for his genuineness in trying to get to know me better. He always asks me how things are going and I take that for granted sometimes. I appreciate it, Josh. I love that our conversations can be so fun but so meaningful at the same time. Cheesy, I know.
The Barista at Starbucks:
He was finishing his shift when I arrived the other night. I saw him taking all his tips from his jar... but instead of putting them into his wallet or pocket, we put every last penny into the Haiti relief donation container in the store. Baristas really don't make that much money... but instead of taking the tips he did make, his generous heart reached out to those in Haiti. Thank you for loving those people in that country, Barista.
Well, those are just a few of my most recent observations.
I am excited to see who else I will meet or get to know better this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment