|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hello Bathtub, Goodbye Phone.

I normally have really good luck with phones- who would have thought?! Remarkably, I am not the type of girl that needs to get a new phone every other month because I either hate the design, lose it, or break it. Yes, I do frequently drop my phone (duh), but I have never actually damaged one. Well, good thing my mom encouraged me to get phone insurance on this last one, because it happened ladies and gentlemen. I broke my phone.

I was nannying yesterday afternoon. Well, it has been raining in Omaha over the past couple of days but despite this, I still let the kids go outside and play. I love the rain. And so do they. Well, yesterday, the little one, Lydia, was running around in the rain and mud while the other three were inside doing homework. When it comes to monitoring, would I rather help with homework or play? DUH- PLAY. Plus... some of their homework I have no idea how to do. Embarrassing? Yes. True? Yes. Oh elementary school and your tricky equations... Sorry, tangent. Anyways, she was outside playing in the mud and it was almost time for her mom to get home so I figured I would call her in so we could clean her up. I filled the bathtub up a couple inches so we could wash her legs and feet (oh, look at me being all maternal!), but I forgot that I had my phone in my back pocket. Well, after washing her feet, I stood up to get a towel and out flies my phone.. It was one of those slow motion moments too... the light blue LG chocolate strategically maneuvers it's way out of my back pocket, glides through the air, flips a couple times, and lands perfectly in the muddy water. The little girl started to giggle. I, however, did not. I yelled and reached in. And there it was... gone. All sad and soaked. I tried drying it off, but now, my battery doesn't work if it's not plugged in, and even then, half of my buttons don't work. I ordered a new phone last night and it should be arriving sometime today.

Not having a cell phone on me at all times is a REALLY strange feeling. I never really considered myself to be one of those people that heavily relies on their phones and technology. Sure, I love the internet, email, facebook, and texting, but I could live without them. I have become so accustomed to having my cell phone constantly by my side, my prime method of communication. Well, not having my cell phone makes me feel so distant from people. I don't know where any one is at, I don't have a land line, I don't know who may be trying to get a hold of me, AND I have no idea what time it is. This is a good learning experience for me. Getting out of my technology world and really feeling and seeing the day go by without responding to random text messages throughout my day or making sure I am always on time. It's a more "go with the flow" type of going about your day. Despite all this, I can't wait to get my new phone.

Another lesson learned? Cell phones like bathtubs. Beware.

1 comment:

ravi said...

at least it wasn't the toilet . . . don't ask, i don't wanna talk about it.