|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

to BFA or not to BFA... that is the question.

So here's the deal... Creighton and their little education department pretty much stinks.  Upon arriving to this school with the intention to be an art education major, Creighton doesn't have an art education major.  BUT they do have this weird co-major/endorsement deal where I major in Education and co-major/get an endorsement in art.  This is all really confusing... hang in there.

So lately, I have been freaking out about my future and whether or not I will even graduate on time.  I had to have a big portfolio review to even be accepted into the major... so basically, all the art professors looked at my work, talked behind my back, and decided my fate.  Well, I got in, which is really exciting! So I am officially in the art department and I am just waiting to hear back from the education department.  Well, all my art professors think I should go for my BFA (bachelor of fine arts degree) and be a real art major, not just have an art endorsement for teaching.  Well, because I would be an actual double major, this is going to require a few more credit hours... not a ton, just like 3 more classes than if I was to just have my art endorsement.  But if I did want to get my BFA, I definitely would not graduate on time, especially since student teaching would be 2nd semester next year and I don't take classes during that time.  If I did decide to just go with my art endorsement with my education degree (with no BFA), I would be able to graduate on time.  

Are you keeping up?

Okay, so the question is, do I get my BFA or not?  It means staying an extra semester, but it also means that I could teach anywhere because I would actually have an art degree.  It means I would still student teach that 2nd semester of my senior year, but fall 2010, I would devote that entire semester to developing and creating my senior thesis/art show in the fine arts gallery. Would I rather just finish school on schedule or enhance my abilities as an artist and educator?... I think it might be worth the extra money...

What do you think?


No comments: