|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Creighton Goes On and On and On and On...

So, I'm back in Omaha.  I have been back for 9 days now... which is unbelievable.  I feel I have been back for MONTHS.  I love Omaha a lot, I really do.  The more people mock it and make fun of it, the more I love it.  The people who make fun of it are the people who have never been... and I must say they are missing out.  It is no Chicago, LA, or New York, but it is fun... with the right people of course.  I think that going to school at Creighton has shifted my opinion of this underestimated city significantly.   I guess a better statement to make would be that I love Creighton.  Don't get me wrong, I love Sokol Underground, Aromas, Spaghetti Works, The Joslyn, Dundee Theater, and other O-town staples, but without Creighton, I would never have come to love and appreciate those places so much.  

Creighton was the first college I was accepted to but in no way did I think it was the school I was eventually going to attend.  I really wanted to get out of the Midwest... but I guess it just sucked me back in.  I visited another school and had my heart set on it, until my mom made me visit Creighton's campus.  The eight hour drive felt like twenty hours... "twenty" hours of cornfields is a lot too, let me tell you.  I, like those I strongly disagree with today, had a twisted perception of Omaha.  I was expecting a small town with one mall, a couple of franchise restaurants here and there, and a college campus surrounded by corn... and that's about it. 

I was very mistaken.  

As soon as the campus tour ended, I knew I was supposed to be here at Creighton.  I didn't have any reasoning except that it felt right.  My friends at home were very confused by both my reasoning and decision.  I never had second thoughts.  My only concern was that fact that Creighton is a Catholic school.  I am not Catholic but I did go to school with a lot of Catholics. Personally, I did not feel most represented Catholicism in a positive way, so once again, I judged something way too quickly.  Now that I am immersed in Creighton life every single day, I recognize how blessed I really am.  

No, there is not a grand population of individuals with faiths similar to mine, but in some ways I am thankful for that. I love talking with people who are way different than myself... ESPECIALLY in my theology classes.  I get to hear the opinions of others and I get to talk with them one on one.  Even though it is a Catholic school, I am amazed at the range of beliefs and I am thankful that people are so open minded to hear my faith in Jesus Christ.  It isn't about wanting to convert people, but being able to relate, talk to, and love others unconditionally. 

I have a small group of friends who do love the LORD so so so much... Praise HIM.  I am thankful that I can see them every day and see the joy in their faces and see the Holy Spirit working in their lives. I am thankful that I can talk to them about anything and they do not judge me and vice versa.  In number, it is a small fellowship, but it is stronger than most Bible studies or groups I have been in.  I am also thankful for the church I go to here in Omaha.  It is different than my home church, Christ Church of Lake Forest, but still, it is great and I look forward to going every single Sunday.

My problem with coming to school freshman year was that I judged the "college life" way too quickly.  I basically expected to be the only Christian amidst Catholics that would need tons guidance and love from me.  How unbelievably selfish.  I expected everyone to drink and party 24/7 while I was the DD and the good girl.  Again, all about me and selfishly wanting to be the ideal example.  I wanted people to need me. By wanting things/judging college the way I did, I did not benefit at all.  I realized that instead of showing the love of Christ through my actions, I just wanted the recognition.  I didn't give any credit to the Lord.  I judged people wrongly and making it out to be like I was their helper, which is completely false.  I don't do anything.  The Lord does EVERYTHING.

I am learning to love more and judge less every single day... and I am SO thankful.  I think my heart began to change as soon as I joined a sorority.  Old Beth would have said, "Sorority? NO WAY! All they do is party and pay for their friends.  It's only a social thing."  Again... Judgemental.  Gamma Phi Beta, my sorority, is probably one of the best things I have ever been a part of in my entire life.  The first night of recruitment, I met three Christians. Talk about an answer to prayer!  These girls are my home away from home.  Every single girl is there for me no matter what.  I have only known 99% of them for a year, but I feel like I have known them for years.  They are some of the least judgmental people I have ever met.  They love me for me, which is really hard to do sometimes, I know.  They have shown me what true friendships look like; I can confidently say that I will talk to most of them beyond graduation.  I could go on an on about each one of them... but I won't... not yet at least.  I had to come back to Omaha the 4th of January to begin Recruitment/Rush practice and we just finished and had Bid Night.  It was the most draining week and a half ever, but it was one of the most fun times I have had in a while.  We would all spend HOURS upon HOURS every day together and still hang out at night.  When the young girls were going through recruitment, they would ask me why I chose Gamma Phi.  I told them, "They love me for me.  They bring out the best 'me', and even when I am not being the best 'me', they love the worst 'me' as well."  This reminds me a whole ton of what being a Christian is all about and what Jesus did for us.  NO ONE is perfect.  We all make horrible mistakes and fail and are in bad moods, but Christ is always there no matter what.  He is the solid rock in my life.  He saved us from horrible death and gave us life.  Most girls in my sorority are not believers, but even so,they have been some of the truest examples of Christ I have seen.
 



<-- This is my Gamma Phi Beta pledge class on our last night of Rush.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I love how on the "Things I Love" section, I'm second to last on your list... thanks Betty Boo... : )

I'm glad you have joined the blogging world!