|| We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home || TWLOHA

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Lamppost


I have been having a reoccurring dream for the past 4 or 5 years now.  It is really not that vivid or elaborate, but yet it is still slightly intriguing.  Even after 4 or 5 years, I find myself questioning the psychological possibilities that could possibly be involved in it's cause... no idea. Still. But whatever.  I will share it with you and see what you think:

(All in black and yellow) I am walking down a path.  I cannot really see anything around me except for the path right in front of me.  Then, I see a light in the distance.  I walk toward it and realize it is just an antique lamppost.  I stand under it, just gazing at it... 

(For a long time, my dream stopped there.  Nothing beyond me just standing in some mystery park under a lit lamppost.  But over the past 6 months, there has been an interesting twist. Keep reading)

... then I start to hear footsteps.  I hear someone coming out of the darkness but I can't see who it is.  The footsteps get louder but the person is not coming out of the darkness.  I look around me then look back up at the lamppost.

END OF DREAM.

WHAT THE HECK?

I don't know.  Obviously I am waiting for something.  I told my art class the dream today because I am doing a painting of it, and they all were trying to analyze it.  It was pretty entertaining.  Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts...

Okay go.

3 comments:

adam said...

That dream is sweet! It sounds like maybe you're waiting by the lamp post because you were supposed to meet this person there... huh. A little creepy for sure, but still sweet. I want to see the painting when you're done with it =)

Unknown said...

well, obviously you were a moth in a past life. duh.

Truthfully, I wouldn't try to interpret it. Whatever force/being/god that governs this universe (if indeed such a thing exists) will reveal it on its own schedule.

That said, I love the image and the emotion that it evokes. Waiting at such a specific place for something you can only hear speaks to me of the future. The future terrifies me because it's unknowable, but that doesn't stop me from worying. Very cool image. You need to take many pictures of your final work and send them all to me.

Actually, I'm surprised you see so much yellow. It feels black and blue to me, with the lamplight being very dark, dim yellow.

I am going to remember this image and work it into a song, with your permission.

love you, boo

Jackie said...

Your dream still facinates me. I've been processing it for a while and trying to figure out exactly what it might deal with.

It being only two colors, and one of those colors being yellow, significantly can represent the Goodness of God, His Glory, etc. Black on the other hand often represents anything not of God. There could be a conflict or battle happening, hence the two colors.

My first thought about you standing next to the lamp post and looking up at it was for protection from the footsteps. Do you have fear within the dream? Anxiety? Are you calm? Recognizing the feelings can tell a whole lot as well...

Let me know about more and I'll continue my thought process...